So, I've decided to start a sports blog. It will mainly focus on Dallas-Fort Worth related teams, since they are the teams of my youth and the ones I follow regularly: Mavericks, Cowboys, Rangers, and so on...
...so naturally I'm going to start out talking about golf.
I was lucky enough to be able to watch the entire 18 (make that 19) hole playoff between Tiger Woods and Rocco Mediate for the 2008 U.S. Open today. The entire tournament has made for some of the most compelling television I've ever seen.
What's not to like? There were some of the best Tiger shots ever (coupled with some of the most animated reactions you'll ever see from Sir Eldric), the push-and-pull of his war with his knee, a Cinderella story you absolutely could not root against, and it all came down to the absolute wire. Three times. Sports just doesn't get any better.
But, as soon as it was over, I had to click over to ESPN News to watch the highlights of the event I just watched over again. And I had to watch the talking heads from Around the Horn and PTI give their opinions on the event, which, I reiterate, I JUST WATCHED.
Afterward, I found myself asking why I felt like I had to watch the all the "bonus coverage." Was the event itself not enough? Did I really need Tony Kornheiser to say that was one of the greatest sporting events of all time before I believed it? Maybe. I think some of what draws us to the post-game shows and the Sportscenter recaps is validation. "See, these guys thought that game was as awesome as I thought it was." And I guess maybe I was just looking for ways to extend the moment. Maybe by reliving the best bits over and over again, I can keep the emotional high going.
Or maybe I still had a couple of beers left. And everyone knows sports-designated beer is not to be drunk over re-runs of "Mad TV."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment